I'm just a 46 year old woman who wants to stay in shape and feel good and age well. I'm not a marathoner. I'm not a triathlete. I'm just a mom. But I love to run and workout. Not that it's always fun while I'm doing it, but I love the feeling of success after I finish. Some days it's just pure will-power to finish my run or do that lunge or push-up, but at 46, I think I am doing really well. I don't know if 45 was a good time to start barefooting it, but I was having back and knee problems and ran across the book, "Born to Run," and was inspired. So I am blogging my journey of barefoot running. Thanks for taking a look. I hope it inspires and helps someone else along the way.

pre-run yoga stretch

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I'm one-fifth of the way there!

I have run nearly 100 miles on my Vibrams! Wow!

Still hitting the track for now. The outside weather here in the North does not facilitate running yet. But I love running in my Vibrams.

My running buddy got some Bikilas. Um, I'm jealous. But I have to say that it really makes no difference, right. I mean, how can they be that much different than the old Vibram classics? Anyway, I am one-fifth of the way to 500 miles. It'll be interesting to see how long my Vibrams last. I know my running shoes don't go that far without breaking down.

My son did something to hurt his foot--same place that I hurt mine--running on his Vibrams. You have to be so CAREFUL. You have to take it slow. Now he's got four weeks of giving his foot a break and then he can start up SLOWLY again. I feel bad for him. I think our feet are shoe-trained and have a hard time adjusting to barefoot. I am still careful because I don't want to be on injury status again. It STINKS.

My buddy also over-did it on her vibrams and had to drop off for three weeks and then has started slow again. You can still run the entire run--in our case four miles--but you just do five laps instead of the 22 our track requires for four miles. You just keep adding in a lap here and there until you can do the entire thing. Even then, after a full run in Vibrams, I will switch up one run with shoes and the next run half way with Vibrams before another full four miler in them.

Well, happy running. I WILL own some Bikilas soon. But until then, I'm burning up the track!

Happy running.

No comments:

Post a Comment