I'm just a 46 year old woman who wants to stay in shape and feel good and age well. I'm not a marathoner. I'm not a triathlete. I'm just a mom. But I love to run and workout. Not that it's always fun while I'm doing it, but I love the feeling of success after I finish. Some days it's just pure will-power to finish my run or do that lunge or push-up, but at 46, I think I am doing really well. I don't know if 45 was a good time to start barefooting it, but I was having back and knee problems and ran across the book, "Born to Run," and was inspired. So I am blogging my journey of barefoot running. Thanks for taking a look. I hope it inspires and helps someone else along the way.

pre-run yoga stretch

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Another day!




I finally did the full--usual run--of four miles yesterday, on the treadmill. It felt good. I did get a HOT SPOT on by big toe--almost like it wanted to turn to blister. But still, I prefer the barefoot running. I really worked on my stride and keeping my foot fall under my hip. I even did a little video with my camera. My kids thought it was WEIRD that I'd do a video of my feet on a treadmill. What do they know!!


On Wednesday, I did try the VIBRAMS out on the road. It was 22 degrees or so and it was TOO COLD. I made it about half a mile and ran in the house to change into the my shoes. I did run in good form, however, throughout the run, and it still made my calves SORE.

I have a bit of SORENESS on my calves even today after running on Friday. I start to wonder if my calves will ever get strong and adapt.

Running in good form sure shoots my heart rate up. My body must be used to the OLD way of running because I could pretty much predict what would make it raise or lower. Now, my talking is at a minimum because I have to CONCENTRATE so much. Poor Shelly.

I have been doing all my workouts in the VIBRAMS. Still love it. Can't wait for spring to come. Until then, I'll probably have to keep wearing my shoes out on the road. If the temp is above freezing, I may give it another try.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment