I'm just a 46 year old woman who wants to stay in shape and feel good and age well. I'm not a marathoner. I'm not a triathlete. I'm just a mom. But I love to run and workout. Not that it's always fun while I'm doing it, but I love the feeling of success after I finish. Some days it's just pure will-power to finish my run or do that lunge or push-up, but at 46, I think I am doing really well. I don't know if 45 was a good time to start barefooting it, but I was having back and knee problems and ran across the book, "Born to Run," and was inspired. So I am blogging my journey of barefoot running. Thanks for taking a look. I hope it inspires and helps someone else along the way.

pre-run yoga stretch

Friday, February 5, 2010

AMAZING!

I ran 3 miles today on the treadmill in my VIBRAMS! for the first time. I've had a nasty cold and cough and have been down almost a week, but I'm starting to get better.

ANYWAY, it was amazing. I know that may sound a bit dramatic, but until you've run in them, you don't UNDERSTAND!

I have been running stocking-foot or barefoot on the treadmill while waiting for the VIBRAMS. That was great. But the fivefingers are just BETTER, BETTER, BETTER. I don't know if it's because you feel protected or have more grip. But I ran 3 miles and felt great--even after coming back from being sick.

The real STRUGGLE came when I slipped on my Saucony's for one more mile outside. UGH! What a difference. So much more WORK.

I have a feeling my calves are going to scream at me, and I could feel some hotness in the balls of my feet. We'll see. Actually, I just stood up to answer the phone and I'm already feeling some stiffness all through the back of my legs. So tomorrow could be rough. KEEP in mind: I'm in good shape. I workout five days a week. This is really CHALLENGING my body.

I concentrated HARD on running in quick steps-180 per minute and keeping myself learning forward with my footfall under my hips, arms loose at the side and not crossing over my body.

Give them a try and we can comment and blog about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment